Sunday, July 22, 2007

Thank you Iino Elementary!

I called this my 'country school.' The students have their own rice paddy, grow vegetables outside their classrooms and are usually much better behaved. The school requires the students to wear school uniforms. And there is no talking at lunch. It is much stricter than my other elementary school. This is the school where the star wars teacher used to work. So for almost three years I looked forward to going to work because I would be entertained by her conversation and stories. And she always made sure to give me extra school lunch...something the new teacher makes sure I don't get! Hmm?

The 2nd and 3rd graders were always my favorites. They knew me from the start and that seems to make a world of difference. I'll miss all those little ones! But Iino also had a few GREAT teachers that I really loved teaching with. The kind of teachers that inspired and motivated students just by walking into the classroom. It is impressive!

Iino was my first official school good-bye speech and my last school enkai! Two weeks ago I stood up in front of the student body and told a little story about a duck who got lost at sea and made new friends. And I compared myself to that duck. It's a book by Eric Carle called 10 Little Rubber Ducks. I'm not sure the students got the metaphor, but I hope they enjoy the book!

The school good-bye was dramatic of course. Students and teachers presented me with gifts each class made. After school we had coffee and cake in the staff room. Teachers who never talk to me outside lesson planning chatted me up! And we agreed to meet two weeks later for dinner!

Two weeks later after all the other good-byes and parties, I was thrilled to find out it would be at my favorite izikaya and was a small get together!! It was fun to see some of the teachers again in a more relaxed environment. I'm gonna miss this little country school with ostriches out back and a Guinness world record for jump roping!

Kancho or Charlie's Angles?

Saying 'see you' to the 3rd graders

My last school lunch

The Iino Elementary School Staff

A mini-enkai at Kokuriko Izikaya

No comments: