Monday, July 16, 2007

Saying Good-bye to Spidey

Teachers aren't supposed to have favorites and I've tried really hard not to. In fact, when I first arrived it was something I was really conscious about. That, and the fact that it was really hard in the beginning to have favorites because I didn't know one student from the other. And I wasn't cluing into the group dynamics of classes and students yet. But now, I'm very aware of who is popular or cool and who isn't. And it is easy to spot different social groups and cliques even in the elementary schools. Although it doesn't seem to be nearly as apparent as in the US. But regardless of my attempts not to pick a favorite, I think one picked me...and now it's mutual! Some people are naturally friends and some people aren't. A few lucky students and teachers fall into that category of becoming friends, but most don't! I feel like I've found one...and I hope I can keep him as a friend for a long time!


Spidey is a very unique and special guy. He made attempts to reach out and learn English that no other student made! He overcame shyness and looked passed peer criticism to pursue his love of English. He wants to be a translator, and he is working hard to achieve it! Everyone who knows me has heard me talk about him and knows he is one of my favorites! I made him pinky swear he would come and visit me someday! I hope he keeps his promise.

BFF, ne!!

No comments: