Monday, July 23, 2007

Farewell Funami JHS

This is my smallest school, with less than 60 students in three grades. It is close the mountains and in a small little village that has been integrated into Nyuzen. In the end it worked out okay and I felt like left on a somewhat positive note. But I had my ups and downs at this school. There were a few classes I REALLY connected with and we had a great time together! But in the last year or two, that hasn't been the case. The students don't like English and since I only come twice a month, it is really hard to develop a routine with them or even get to know them much.

The week before my last day was the big Tanabata Festival in Funami. My schedule was rearranged so I could attend the marathon and festival with the students. I was an alternate runner this year and they didn't end up needing me which while a bit disappointing was a blessing!

My last day was long and overwhelming like all the others. I only taught two classes and then gave a speech in the gym. The school let me go home after my speech, but I came back at 6pm for a BBQ in the cooking classroom. Originally it was supposed to be at a park nearby, but the weather prevented that. It was a lot of fun and great food! And I was super impressed and honored that the teachers would go to tall that work for me considering I'm only a visiting teacher twice a month. It was a fun send off. At the end of the party, the VP gave a little speech and thanked me. And then everyone had to shake my hand...brutal!! I hate those little rituals. They kill me. I was crying through it all partly because I was so surprised that this school would do something for me. And partly because they are all great people and I will miss them!


A photo with the basketball girls!


Cooking the yakisoba!!


Funami JHS staff after eating and eating and eating!!

No comments: