Sunday, July 22, 2007

See you next time Nyuzen Elementary

For three years I've taught 24 1st-6th grade classes at Nyuzen Elementary school, my 'inner city' school. I call it my 'inner city' school because it is only two blocks from the train station and the main post office is around the corner. Apparently there are a lot of kids from single-parent homes and there are more low-income families in this area. There are also more foreign kids! Exciting! I'm not sure if it is designated as an open school, but the classrooms don't have outer walls or doors. The teachers have offices near their classrooms so the official teachers room is usually empty and dark.

At the start of my second year a 6th grade tragically died while practicing for sports day. I was there that day and watching the school mourn and grieve was an emotionally draining cross-cultural experience, but a bonding one. I was closest to the school nurse at that school because she speaks English and loved mini-eikaiwas when I had time before or after classes. It was hard to watch her go through the loss of a student. Several Japanese people have told me that it is easier for them to express their true feelings in English because the English-speaking culture allows them to be more open and expressive. There is a very distinct cultural difference in communication styles between English and Japanese! I talked with the nurse about the death of the student and she told me about her favorite memories of the student. And I shared my most recent interactions with her. I think it helped both of us. She left the school this spring, and I only saw her again last week. She's another amazing woman and friend who always did super nice things for me. At Christmas time she made me fruit cake that she had been soaking in rum for 2-3 months! She would bring me cookies or cakes on my bday. She gave me chocolate on valentine's day. And for no reason at all she would bring me homemade jam or bread. I tried to reciprocate as much as possible, but it just wasn't possible to keep up with her generosity!

Like the other schools, I started saying good-bye to classes over a month ago. So it felt like the end was never ever going to come. And I think the kids started to think I was never going to leave. The last day was a long one. I showed up early for the speech to the teachers, then I had to give a speech to the study body. I made it through my speech fine, but as soon as the students came up and started giving speeches I lost it. My private student gave a speech in English and that's when the floodgates broke loose! And not just for me, but for him too! It was brutal. I was so proud of him for doing it in English, it just means that much more! And immediately after I taught 4 classes! During the morning and afternoon recess I sat on the stairs near the teachers room and signed hundreds of different objects...anything kids handed me. I signed books, notebooks, pencil cases, rules, plastic sheets, plastic toys, you name it!! And then they started requesting that I write messages on everything and they each had to be personalized!! These are demanding kids. But how can you say no to these kinds of requests? So I sat there for several hours signing away! My secret birthday buddy found me at one point during the day and gave me a card with a little gift. I wish I had something for her. But I didn't. It was really really sweet of her to remember and think of me. Kids are full of surprises!!

In the afternoon I sat down with the proposed 5th & 6th grade English 'curriculum' for next year! I was asked to edit it. It is atrocious! I won't go into it here...but seriously, why do Board of Educations think it is ok for non-English speakers to write an English curriculum. Would you ask a math teacher to write an social studies curriculum? Part of the problem with English education in Japan is that they aren't really taking it seriously! If they were, they would hire professional curriculum writers, like I assume they do for all other subjects! Anyway, I stayed almost an hour late on my last day just going through this atrocious amalgamation of lessons.

As I was packing up, there were a few pictures taken and then all the teachers walked me to the door and waved me out. I know it's a nice gesture, and maybe I would feel badly if they didn't do it, but I really dread walking away knowing that 20 people are watching me. And everyone knows it's the last time! And they are wishing you 'good luck' with your life! What does that really mean?? And what can one really say in that situation that would sound more sincere?

Lots of memories! Lots of stories! I'm going to miss these kids!

Saying good-bye to the special education class! We made pizza!


Delicious pizza!!! I will miss these two, they are so much fun!


Saying good-bye to a 1st grade class!


My desk after my last day of classes!


A final picture with some of the teachers!

No comments: