Saturday, July 21, 2007

Sayonara Kurobe Masters Swim Team



An essential part of being Japanese is belonging to a group. It might be a sports group, a social group, a professional group, a neighborhood group, etc. But it is important to find a place to belong and a group to be a part of. As a foreigner is is really difficult to become part of one of these groups outside school and work. It took me two years to join the Kurobe Masters swim team. I knew they existed and they knew who I was. We had been meeting at the pool for 2 years and had gotten to know each other a little. After this 'get to know you' period I was invited to join a swim meet and then the team. So, I've been training with them once a week for about 16 months. And they have even asked me to coach a few times. Although, their idea of coaching is much different than my idea of what a coach does and is! It has been fun to be part of a group outside of my teaching and school groups. Although the practices often turn into a type of eikaiwa because my Japanese, especially swimming vocabulary, is so poor that I often use a mix to get my ideas across. I really appreciate their patience and acceptance of me. I know it's no small thing! Two weeks ago I attended my last practice. Last week I met with several of the women and Linea and we went for dinner at a delicious Mediterranean restaurant in Kurobe. Who knew?

For more stories and posts about my workouts with the Kurobe Masters Swim Team, please visit my other blog A Mad Duck


Kirsten & Reiko, April 2006


Reiko, Kayoko & Me, July 2007

The ladies of the Kurobe Masters Swim Team




My good-bye gifts

No comments: