Sunday, October 01, 2006

Books in my Life (at this moment)

(I'm writing while listening to Garrison Keilor's A Prarie Home Companion)

I have so many books I’m reading right now it’s a bit overwhelming. It’s hard to keep track of them all…but there are some obvious distinctions: academic versus pleasure reading! Ha ha ha, no they aren’t the same thing, at least not yet. I’m not a crazy grad student…yet. Although as I get deeper into classes….I’m enjoying SOME of the reading more and more. It CAN be interesting. But actually, recently I’ve been reading non-fiction before going to bed. I’ve recently been introduced to a really interesting author and I find his subject enthralling! It’s not for everyone, but it’s for me: past life regression! And I want to know more.

I put a list on my blog last year of the books in my life, here is an updated list:

Books by my computer:

  • Longman’s Dictionary of Language Teaching & Applied Linguistics by Richards & Schimdt
  • Principles of Language Learning and Teaching by Brown
  • How Languages are Learned by Lightbown & Spada
  • Reasearch Methods for English Language Teachers by McDonough & McDonough
  • Approaches and Methods in Language Teaching by Richards & Rodgers
  • English Language Teaching in its Social Context by Candlin & Mercer
  • Analysizing English in a Global Context by Burns & Coffin
  • Perspectives on Pedagogical Grammar by Odlin
  • Psychology for Language Teachers by Williams & Burden
  • Basic Kanji Book by Kano, Shimizu, Takenaka & Ishi

Books by my bed:

  • Many Lives, Many Masters by Brian Weiss*
  • Only Love is Real by Brian Weiss
  • Through Time Into Healing by Brian Weiss
  • The Birth of Venus by Sarah Dunant
  • That Takes Ovaries edt by Rivka Solomon
  • The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy
  • The Power of Intention by Wayne Dyer

And this list doesn’t include all the books and journal articles I’m trying to read and negotiate for my next paper. Paying tuition has it’s advantageous….I have access to 100’s of journals online, I can just download whatever I want! It’s amazing! I might have to start studying other subjects just cause I CAN! Yahoo! I’m enjoying my nerd status!

* Have you’ve ever wondered if you knew someone before? or a place is familiar but you’ve never been there before? or do you have lots of déjà vu moments? You might want to read up on this subject: past life regression. The writing isn’t great, but the stories are fascinating. It might be a stretch, but I’m trying to link the my language studies with past life regression….there is evidence of young children being able to speak and or/write languages they’ve never heard before (i.e. my sister). It’s documented….maybe that can by my dissertation topic. Or maybe not.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you have time to read all those readings? I'm not a big fan of academic readings. They confuse me rather than making me intelligent.
Good luck with your readings.

Jimmy

Anonymous said...

"Otaku" daisuki yo!
Brian Weiss sounds interesting!
I wanna try to read.Thanks!

Cheeks

Matthew R. Loney said...

Had a few of those weird deja vu moments in the past. Some strange doppleganger (sp?) ones too.

I`ll tell you sometime about the one past life I`m sure I had.

I might post about books too! Always fun.

Kirsten said...

doppleganger???? what's that?

yes...i want to hear more about your past life! i've decided "past lives" are my new current "for fun" research study....since my other research is ちょっと つまらない!

flood me with stories.....お願いします!

Matthew R. Loney said...

A doppleganger is an identical copy of yourself that lives somewhere in the world. If you and them happen to meet, it`s supposed to mean death.

While I`ve never met my own doppleganger, duh, I have been travelling and seen people who look identical to people I know. I always think, Thank god they`re not here, or else they`d be dead!

Linea said...

When I was in Greece I actually grabbed a guy by the arm to stop him because I thought he was a friend of mine. It wasn't until he actually opened his mouth and talked in an Australian accent that I was convinced it wasn't him!!!

K - I finished "Middlesex" last week. Great book!

I'm on to "On the Road" by Jack Kerouac.