Monday, October 09, 2006

Goal Driven

I wrote this list last winter before I re-contracted for my 3rd year on JET. I think most of it still applies. In 10 months, I’ve managed to accomplish 3 of my life goals (Fuji & Hakusan, sing in a choir & swim on a masters team). And I’ve started my MA in another country. Not bad….but there are SO many more things on my list.

I’m taking another look at this list and trying to keep it in mind as I ponder, question, consider and weigh the pros and cons of staying a 4th year. Can/Will I accomplish more if I stay, or am I putting my life on hold? I hate making decisions.

This list is by no means a comprehensive list. It can change and it will change. But as of today, this is what I want to do while I grow up:

Live in the Middle East for at least a year
Study Arabic
Speak Spanish
Get an MA degree (or 2), preferably in another country
Go to Vietnam with my Dad (after first MA)
Go to Greece with my Mom
Go to ????? with my sister
Continue visiting and supporting SEED
Own a house (10-20 years down the road)
Climb Mt. Fuji/Hakusan
Travel around Poland & Turkey
Live in another developing country
Work in the Public Health field at some point
Sing in a choir again
Swim on a Masters Team
Hike the Annapurna Circuit in Nepal
Enjoy a romantic vacation to the Maldives
Hike to Everest Base Camp
Raft in New Zealand
Snowboard in the Alps
Camp/Road trip in the “Sound of Music” mountains of Austria
Take a Motorcycle Trip
Ride in a Semi
Take the Trans-Siberian Railway (Russia, Mongolia, China)
Backpack around Africa
Live in NYC
Road trip to Alaska
Visit Antarctica
Surf anywhere
Get Scuba certified
Do a multi-day bike trip
Sail around the world
Hike Machu Pichu
Write a book
Publish an article

Is one lifetime enough??

7 comments:

Matthew R. Loney said...

Those are some wicked goals, Sista!

I`m inspired. I`m writing mine down right away.

Anonymous said...

You wrote that should you stay a fourth year in Japan and see if you can get your goals accomplished? Well, if you want to do the things on your list (a great one too) I think you need to leave Japan because a lot of things you just can't fully do in Japan.
However, Japan is a place that just pulls you in and you don't want to leave. I know!

Jimmy

Chris said...

Lofty goals! But I know you can do it! I too want to live in the Middle East for a bit. Dubai is especially attractive... Oh dreams.

(P.S. I wish I could pop over to a combini and grab a bento right now, but I can't! Appreciate the convenience at your fingertips.)

Anonymous said...

Wow! What great goals! I have no doubt that you will do wonders with this AMAZING list! However, there is nothing with your younger sister. You will go to Vietnam with Dad. And Greece with Mom. What are we going to do together? What about Machu Picchu together?

Anonymous said...

No, 1 Lifetime is NOT enough! That's why I am counting on many! AND I like the additions to your list - I am sure we could come up with even more!

Anonymous said...

Kels,
I didn't see your comment until I made mine - AND I agree! What is Kirst going to do with you? Dad & I had to beg to be put on her list as well! So go for it - I think your idea is GREAT - I might want to come with you tho - but take the train to the top instead of hiking!

Kirsten said...

well...I wanna hike machu pichu!! kels you wanna do it together? that sounds good to me! or we could plan a New Zealand rafting trip! How about that? or we could visit spas in Hungry? Go on a cruise in Turkey?

You name it!

Anyone else want to be added to my list! Please submit ideas!