Sunday, May 27, 2007

Fillin' Up

As the final weeks, days, and lessons approach I'm finding myself trying to fill up on all things Japanese. I'll most likely see the foreign friends I've made here again, somewhere in the world. But there are people, places and experiences that are unique to this time and place that will never be experienced again. And I'm trying to soak those up before the clock strikes twelve. So, in no particular order, here are some photos of things that have been keeping me away from my apartment, off the computer and consequently sleeping very soundly at night.


Volunteer at the 24th Kurobe Jimmy Carter Marathon! The Masters Swim team members asked me to join their little volunteer gang. We got free t-shirts and a gift card--just for wearing a yellow jacket and cheering!!















Dinner at a friend's new apartment. It's unusual to be invited to someone's house for a meal. People usually go out to eat and drink and it's smoky and expensive. But it was really nice to eat homemade food, listen to great music and just enjoy time together without the other chatter of a restaurant.


And there are lots of other things that I just don't have photographic evidence of: an enkai, a tea ceremony, several meals out with friends, and of course watching the fabulous victory of Hakuho--the next Mongolian Yokozuna!

(excuse the strange underlines...not sure what happened there)

No comments: