Wednesday, February 14, 2007

The New 7 Wonders

Can you name the 7 Ancient Wonders of the World?? Only one exists today, the rest can only be read about and imagined in books.

There is a campaign to officially name 7 new wonders. I'm not really sure why it's important that there only be 7, or that there be a list at all. But everyone seems to like having neat lists, especially people like me who like to check things off their list. Anyway, if you want to jog your memory about the 7 Ancient Wonders or see what's made the final cut for the next new 7 wonders or you can Vote Here for the new 7 wonders!

My personal opinion...the wonders should be ancient, not made of concrete or steel girders. And it should have required some unhuman type strength and engineering to have created the wonder!

Next question...how many have you visited?? I'm a bit depressed to say, I've only been to three. And three of the most boring if you ask me. Damn, I still have a lot of travel to do!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I could name four of the seven ancient wonders. I read about them when I was a kid in a picturebook encyclopedia. Surprised that knowledge stayed with me.

I vote for Angkor....cause it`s the only one I`ve been to! I specifically vote AGAINST the Statue of Liberty

rsz said...

I have been to the seven wonders...
1. my bed
2. my toilet
3. my bath
4. my cooker
5. my desk
6. my fridge
7. my car

in no particular of importance - rsz x

Kirsten said...

why specifically AGAINST the Statue of Liberty? Are you anti-Americans or are you anti-French or do you prefer the old wonders?

I wouldn't vote for the Statue of Liberty either, but why are you so adamant?

rsz---what's "a cooker"??

Linea said...

Wonders should be just that - wonders. By being in their presence you should be moved to wonder for example -why it was built, or how it was created. There should be no immediate or obvious explanation for it's existence, otherwise it's not wonderful.

My 2 yen.

Matthew R. Loney said...

Linea answered my question.

I would vote against the Sydney Opera House too, or the Eiffel Tower.

I think a wonder should be something unmimickable...if that`s a word. Any of those buildings/towers could be produced again in a second.

Don`t you think there would be something horribly wrong with declaring the Statue of Liberty as one of the seven new wonders of the world? Just silliness, IMHO.

Kirsten said...

yep, i do! I'm not disagreeing with you! I totally agree....that's what I wrote in my blog post! Duh!!