Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Stuff It!

stuff (stuf) n. [ OFr estoffe] 1 the material out of which anything is made 2 essence; character 3 matter in general 4 cloth, esp. woolen cloth 5 objects; things 6 worthless objects; junk 7 [Colloq.] ability, skill, etc. –vt. 1 to fill or pack; specif., a) dermy b) to fill (a turkey, etc.) with seasoning, bread crumbs, etc. before roasting 2 to fill too full; cram 3 to plug; block -vi. to eat too much


That is the definition of “stuff” according to Websters’s New World Dictionary. My definition is the picture below. That’s my stuff. And I have too much of it. To be exact, I have 33 boxes of stuff. I don’t even know what it is that I have anymore.

I’ve received the inventory list-- I’m not joking. My parents recently went through all my stuff and organized it into boxes, made a list, labeled it, took pictures and put it into storage. I’m too scared to look at the inventory list. I don’t really want to know what’s in those 33 boxes. I know I have baby stuff, school stuff, high school stuff, Muppet stuff, college stuff, India stuff, Namibia stuff, Saudi stuff, stuff my grandmothers left me, stuff my grandfather has made for me and stuff I’m sure I won’t remember at all. Thinking about this stuff doesn’t excite me at all. It terrifies me.

The thought of going through this stuff and consolidating it makes me sick to my stomach. I hate making those decisions about what is worthy of keeping and what isn’t. Right now I don’t remember what’s in those boxes, but as soon as I start going through them….the memories will come flooding back. Do I need to hold onto that stuff to keep the memories? Or will the memories always be there if I don’t have the stuff anymore?

Why is it that I have all this stuff and is it really important to my life? Does this stuff define me, or my future? Will this be the stuff that I fill my house with? Will I become a slave to this and even more stuff? How much more stuff will I be adding to this list when I move from Japan? I don’t imagine taking much stuff with me, that’s the beauty of my situation, I can leave most of my stuff here. But I’m sure I’ll get sentimental and decide that some of this stuff is worthy of exorbitant shipping costs.

Only recently I’ve been able to carry less stuff when I travel. But people still make fun of me. I always have stuff on my back, stuff in my car, stuff on my bike, stuff in my bag, etc. I’m always carrying stuff. I’m the queen of stuffing one more thing into my bag. I can make stuff fit, it just needs a bit more stuffing!

Stuff is comfort. Stuff protects. Stuff saves. Stuff is security.

But I want to live with less stuff.



My Stuff
Originally uploaded by Sistak.

5 comments:

Linea said...

Sista, I know exactly where you're coming from! I have a whole shed on my parents acreage with my STUFF in it! Sends shivers down my spine.

Can't wait to see what the Beetle looks like when we stuff her for Hokkaido!!!

Matthew R. Loney said...

Sista, you need to consider a booth at the ole Toyama Flea Market...or Portland one.

Unlike just dumping your `stuff` in a Goodwill bin, at the market, you actually see the people your `stuff` is going to. It`s an odd feeling. All day I was like, `Hey! I wore those pants in India. I bought that shirt in Thailand...`
Definately our `stuff` has memories attached. But does their presence inhibit the possibility of new memories?

Books are my problem....BIG problem

Lets lightening our load!

Anonymous said...

As 1 of the 2 who packed up your stuff AND as 1 who has moved MUCH stuff many times, I found your well-written description PERFECT!!

I know from years of experience, that my memory is NOT very accurate, clear, or infallible. Although I have found that I need very few "objects" for reminders, but that I will always try to make room for pictures - even though they also require a great deal of sorting - to keep the best that capture the moment, time, or event.

Stuff happens! But it can be a joy to give it away as bullfighter said...2 pleasures in 1 - to receive & to give.

Chris said...

I have about 20 boxes in my parents basement. They're filled with the remaining 2/3 of my wardrobe (I can't wait to see it!), books, and other shiznet. I'm a pretty good avoider, so I'm not worried about dealing with it when I get back. ;)

Marcie said...

amen, sista.