Friday, June 16, 2006

Chocolate at the Chugakko

Today was another sports day. All my kids were off playing basketball, volleyball, soft tennis, table tennis, badminton, and soccer. But there are a few kids who don't join sports clubs. Their options include: brass band club, science club or home-making club. Sometimes I wonder what club I would have joined in junior high school if I'd known I'd have to do it EVERYDAY. I probably would have done basketball. Hmm?



Early in the day I visited the local gym to watch the boys basketball game...they won!! Yeah, my school is awesome! Plus their uniforms were the coolest on the court!

But the rest of the day I spent with the home-making club. I had been invited to eat lunch with the home-ec teacher. She made somen, cold noodles, and brought sesame tofu, japanese pickels, and bread. All delicious!

I added, what seems to be my speciality these days, dessert! There has been an on-going discussion with the ladies that sit near me about the possible uses for tofu. I keep telling them of all the exciting ways I use tofu, and they can't believe it! So today was the day to show off!


I made my new favorite recipe, chocolate tofu mousse! Admittedly it's not nearly as good as the real thing, but it's a great healthy alternative! And the texture is convincing!

Just in case the mousse wasn't a hit, I decided I better make an old stand-by--chocolate chip cookies! I roped some of the home-making students in to help me. They seemed to enjoy it. They stood by the oven and chanted the countdown...and the ate all the crumbs. I also served them up some of the mousse, they were licking the bowl! That was a good sign. The home-ec teacher decided we should charge the teachers for our treats! One item= 100Y, two item=150Y.


My two helpers delivered the cookies and chocolate mousse to the staff room and very politely demanded that each teacher pay up before taking anything! It was so cute! The teachers that hadn't overheard all the tofu discussions quickly went for the mousse. The teachers with the inside scoop grabbed up the cookies instead. But I didn't hear any complaints! And the one teacher that kept chanting "I can't imagine" at the thought of a tofu dessert admited it was delicious and said, "I can imagine now."

Overall, a successful day of internationalizing!

3 comments:

Matthew R. Loney said...

You are by far the most perfect ALT...

Boysters said...

That was Hamada-sensei! She was at Asahi chu before. She's probably quite happy to be hanging out with an ALT who can cook!

Kirsten said...

demo...she talks about you all the time! about how great your ---the big puffy thing--- and that ----brown soup---- you made! She LOVED it! She looked like she was going to cry when she found our your leaving. sniff sniff