Tuesday, March 21, 2006

The DMZ and Beyond

I've been in Korea a total of 2 full days! I haven't visited any temples, palaces, or museums. I haven't eaten dog, but I've already had enough kimchee to last a lifetime. And I've learned a few interesting things.

1) In the minds of the South Koreans, North Korea is not a seperate country. Korea is a divided nation. And they hope for reunification very soon. They are so sure it will happen, they have built a train station and welcome center at the border. They are hoping that as soon as the border opens, they will have train service to China, Russia and one day Paris! Currently, it is empty and only used as a backdrop for tourist photos!





2) Elementary school students can speak English in Korea! It's amazing. I attended 4 elementary/junior high classes with my sister yesterday and they can communicate! And they don't hesitate or pause. They all have English at school every week and if they are taking classes at my sister's school they have an additional 5 classes a week! I met a high school student who takes 19 English classes a week. Twelve at school and 5 after school with my sister! OMG!



3) Koreans are still VERY angry at Japan. I was drinking last night with a Korean soldier. He said Japan has a "disregard" for the Korean people. I think everyone was hoping I'd say something horrible about the Japanese, but I couldn't. I think they were disappointed. But they agreed, that the people aren't bad, it's the government. Similarly, they can drink with Americans but hate the American government. The soldier said, "No Comment." Today he is going to train with the US Military. He wasn't looking forward to it! The picture of the gun shop is from Sokcho, I'm not sure if it's a shop or a museum or what. But they had A LOT of scary guns! Because Sokcho is so close to the border, there are a lot of military--even on the beach!


I've taken some pictures, but can't load them to my sisters computer. So I'll try to get her to load some! In the meantime....I'm off to another day of co-teaching!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kirst, we love your insights and the update on your progress in Korea. Give kimchee another chance - there are MANY kinds and it prevents bird flu. Which reminds me - - do you have your masks and gloves? You & Kels give each other hugs from us. Love.

Anonymous said...

i miss you horribly

Kirsten said...

no way!! they laugh so hard when I mention his name. although I did find a brochure offering tours of the famous locations seen in yonsama's dramas! ha ha ha! if it wasn't so expensive, I'd do it! I was hoping for yonsama mochi balls, chocolates, squid crackers, etc. but i haven't seen any of it!