Wednesday, January 25, 2006

My Secret Addiction

I listened to Madonna, Michael Jackson, Cyndi Lauper, Raffi, Marlo Thomas & Friends etc when I was growing up. But I also had a secret music love affair. And I still do! When I was a small child I saw a movie, a musical to be specific. And I’ve never been able to get the music out of my head. I used to listen to the tape endlessly as a small child. I still have the tape, but it’s warped and is barely recognizable. Now I own the CD and carry a copy everywhere I travel. I listen to this CD when I need to think, to reflect, and mostly when I'm in transit. I like to listen to it in the car, on planes, on trains and especially on Indian buses. When I’m in motion, I’m often taking a moment to check-in with myself.
    • Where am I? Where am I going? Where did I just leave?
    • How does this fit into the big picture?
    • Is there a plan?
    • Am I writing my own plan or following a plan that’s already been set out for me?
    • Where should I go next?
    • What else do I want to do in my life?
    • Where do I want to be in 5 years, 10 years, or 25 years?
I love the entire album, but this song has always been one of my favorites! Yes, I’m a big dork and most people make fun of me when they hear about my love affair with this CD. And now I’m exposing myself to everyone. So if you know who sings it and what movie it’s from, please leave it in the comments!


God, Oh merciful father
I’m wrapped in a robe of light
Clothed in your glory
That spreads its wings over my soul
May I be worthy
Amen

There is not a morning I begin without a thousand questions running through my mind.
That I don’t try to find the reason and the logic in the world that god designed.
The reason why, a bird was given wings?
If not to fly, and praise the sky with every song it sings.
What’s right or wrong?
Where I belong?Within the scheme of things

And why have eyes that see and arms that reach unless your meant to know there is something more?
If not to hunger for the meaning of it all, than tell me what a soul is for?
Why have the wings unless you’re meant to fly?
And tell me please, why have a mind if not to question why?

And tell me where, where is it written what it is I’m meant to be?
That I can dare to have the chance to pick the fruit of every tree
Or have my share of every sweet imagined possibility
Just tell me where
Tell me where

If I were only meant to tend the nest than why does my imagine sail?
Across the mountains and the seas, beyond the make believe of any fairy tale
Why have the thirst, if not to drink the wine?
And what a waste to have a taste of things that can’t be mine

And tell me where, where is it written what is I’m meant to be?
That I can dare to find the meanings in the mornings that I see
Or have my share of every sweet imagined possibility
Just tell me where
Where is it written?
Tell me where

Or if it’s written
Anywhere

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yentl - Barbara Streisand???

Kirsten said...

who are you anonymous?

Anonymous said...

Yes, Yentl - it is hauntingly beautiful & really sticks with you - but thank you so much for writing out the words & reminding me about seeing it with you & listening to it in the car, with you...plus multiple times at home!
I love it too! Yentl's independent nature & her universal "BIG" picture questions are so like you too! Pretending to sing like her is fun too! If only...
Love you

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your love of Yentil with us!

Chris said...

I haven't seen it, which may be against stereotype. Maybe we should watch it together sometime!

Anonymous said...

good choice ;o)
-m-

Matthew R. Loney said...

I believe we listened to this while swinging in the hammock one night in Ko Pha Ngan with the incense burning and the waves lapping against the beach.

(It`s on my iPod now - shame shame shame) I feel so cheesy I need to take a bath.

Linea said...

I haven't seen it either. Why?