Friday, January 20, 2006

Looking For Comedy in the Muslim World

NPR's radio interview show "Fresh Air" hosted by Terry Gross*, interviewed Albert Brooks, the director, writer and star of the new movie Looking for Comedy in the Muslim World, opening today in the USA and Canada.

I love movies about crossing cultures! But hearing the title of this movie made me cringe. I have to say I'm really tired of the way the media, be it the news, movies, radio or the internet portray and talk about "The Muslim World." It's as if we are talking about another planet in a different dimension. "The Muslim World"--they must be aliens from a far off galaxy, a people we don't understand, a species different from our own. And while we may treat them like that, we don't need to perpetuate that idea and myth. Do we talk about "the Asian World," "The European World," or even "The African World?" I know we don't refer to "The North American World." Why then must we say "The Muslim World." Maybe I'm getting stuck on lexus, but as a cultural anthropologist and an English teacher, I know language influences culture, perceptions, stereotypes, etc. So, until we change how we talk about people, we will never change our ideas of them!

It seems obvious that we say it because we have no idea what lies beyond our own little box, wherever that is and whatever it might be. We don't want to think that Muslims are a part of our world, so we place them in a world of their own. We have no idea what life is like in predominately Muslim countries and what we hear about on the media doesn't sound pleasant.
But come on people, are we really so blind to believe all the shit we hear and see. How can we put up with the way an entire faith is represented? And I don't even want comments about the fundamentalists, every religion has them. I have even got some in my family! So don't make that argument!

Getting back to the movie, I am eager to see it, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to sit through it without making endless judgments. I'm already upset by the title for so many reasons. And while I think the Director does have good intentions, I'm not sure if I'll agree with what he thinks is culturally sensitive and what he thinks is culturally appropriate comedy. There is a fine line when you are making fun of other cultures in the name of comedy. Some people do it well and others suck at it! I'm not sure where this movie will fall...I'm curious!

Okay, back to the title. Another reason it annoys me is because the movie takes place in India and Pakistan. Immediately when I heard the title, I thought "Oh it could be interesting if they are researching comedy in Iran, Iraq, Saudi, UAE, Qatar, Egypt, etc." So, that is where my own stereotypes of "Muslim world" come into play. I automatically assumed it was about the Middle East. But it's not at all. India probably has the 2nd largest Muslim population in the world. And Pakistan is predominately Muslim. But India is also made up of Hindus, Sikhs, Buddhists, Christians, and Jains. And from listening to the interview with Albert Brooks, it sounds like he interacts with people from all these different backgrounds. So, why call it "looking for comedy in the Muslim World." He isn't interacting with people from just one faith. He is interacting with people from many faith backgrounds. He is interacting with people from India and Pakistan, the Indian subcontinent, Hindi, Urdu and Arabic speaking people. There are so many ways of classifying people, why "The Muslim World?" Also, if you say "The Muslim World," and you are only talking about Muslims in India and Pakistan, it's excluding a HUGE Muslim population! Indonesia has the largest Muslim population in the world! Why not include them? Not to mention the significant Muslim populations in the Middle Easy, Europe, Africa, and America. So, it's not really looking for comedy in "The Muslim World" at all, is it? It's looking for comedy in Northern India and Pakistan, with Indian & Pakistani Muslims. And I bet what they think is funny is VERY different from Indonesian Muslims, Saudi Muslims, Egyptian Muslims or New York Muslims!

Comedy is fluid. What one culture finds funny, another doesn't. What one generation finds funny, another finds offensive. What women find funny, goes right over men's heads. What men often find funny, pisses off women. Comedy changes constantly and is very cultural and very individual. I think what the Director and the movie are trying to do is enlighten the audience of this point and also broach a subject, specifically, interacting with Muslims, that Americans seems so scared of. Lighten up everyone! When it comes right down to it, we all like to laugh. We all like to be entertained. We all like to enjoy ourselves. We like to be with family and friends.

But will I think this movie is entertaining? And given the title and all the associations it has, will I be able to see past it? I'm not sure! But I do want to see it!

All you folks over there in that far off strange land I like to call "the North American World," send me your reviews. And when it comes out on DVD...someone, please send me a copy!

* And while I'm on my soap box, I think Terry Gross is extremely annoying. I'm not saying I could do better at interviewing people but I don't think she is anything special. My issues: she likes to hear herself talk, she asks rhetorical questions, and she doesn't listen to her guests. I'm constantly talking back to her when I listen to the radio show. But I put up with it every morning because I like the people she interviews! And she does get me going.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What passion about a subject! You have Dad & I curious about the movie - we'll let you know!

Anonymous said...

We saw it this afternoon - would recommend waiting for the DVD - it is only mildy funny, but more interesting to us as a way to see a little more of India. It's a reminder of how rediculous war is & how important it is to make an attempt to understand other cultures thru whatever means...humor is a great connector if you can cross the cultural/language barriers.