Monday, November 10, 2008

AIF Digital Equalizer Inauguration

In addition to the election excitement last week, I attended an inauguration for a new computer center at a boys high school in central Chennai. Without getting caught up in too many details, American India Foundation (AIF) has a program called Digital Equalizer that focuses on increasing the digital learning opportunities in disadvantaged schools as a way of equalizing educational opportunities and quality across the socio-economic divide. In the last few months, AIF has started its DE program in Tamil Nadu in conjunction with the government. All of the districts selected for this program are tsunami-affected areas in the coastal region. However, an international company called Applied Materials has funded two DE computer centers in urban government aided schools in Chennai.

It was the inauguration of one of the centers that I attended last week. It also happens that Applied Materials funds several AIF Service Corps Fellowships, and my fellowship is one they fund. Before the inauguration I met with the Applied Materials Corporate Responsibility CEO to discuss AIF Service Corps and to tell him about my projects as well as what several other fellows are doing during their fellowship. The meeting took place in the Applied Materials corporate office in Chennai—a far cry from my NGO office environment. They had 5 levels of security: under the car check, building guard and sign-in, office security door, sign-in at front desk (including computers) and finally the security door into the office space. It was a large floor full of cubicles, conference rooms, and had a cafeteria with employees playing table tennis. We met in the conference room and had a friendly informal discussion in conjunction with a Power Point presentation I made. He was quickly whisked off to another meeting while the DE staff and I drove off to the school to prepare for the inaugural event.


During our morning meeting, the CEO was told the inauguration would be a ‘simple’ event. I turned to him and said “It depends on your definition of simple”. He smiled and agreed that in his 2 days of being in India, he realized that ‘simple’ has an entirely different meaning here. As expected, it wasn’t so ‘simple’ from a foreigner’s perspective. But the actual inauguration was somewhat what I expected. It involved lots of pomp and circumstance and formalities. As the guests from DE and Applied Materials entered, the children were lined up on both sides of the drive-way in uniform, some saluting and others playing instruments. Next was a quick meeting and introductions in the principal’s office. Followed by a quick and unclimatic ribbon cutting and tour of the computer center. Finally everyone was ushered into the gym where 300-400 boys were anticipating the pain of endless dry speeches. All of the chief guests, and guests of lesser importance (Prev and I included) sat on the stage in front of the students as we all listened to speech after speech inaugurating their first ever computer center. While the event itself did bring a few yawns to the guests and the crowd, it was very exciting to think that from now on these students will have access (although limited, 10 computers for 1000 students) to the digital world. Even by learning a few applications, programs and how to access the internet their prospects for further education and jobs will mulitple and everyone assumes it will only benefit their self-worth, self-confidence and self-esteem! This is just one of about 150 similar centers that have just opened in the last few months across the state...it is an momentous time for education in Tamil Nadu!


After the 'chief guests' had been ushered away, the students were back in their classrooms and the excitement had died down, I found myself sitting on the steps of the school chatting with teachers and administrators. The conversation centered around two topics: my limited (although apparently impressive) knowledge of Madurai Tamil and my marital status. They could not get over the fact that I speak several words of Tamil with a very clearly Madurai accent. And the fact that I am 30 years old and unmarried (gasp!) left them in a state of shock, even referring to me as a 'spinster' at one point. I tried to explain that in the US it was really everyone's choice what age they wanted to marry at, but they just wouldn't have it. I've missed my chance in India terms. More on that and living as a 'white' woman in India in a later post....lots to reflect about!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, from what I heard last year, your Tamil is impressive!

As for your marital status, are they going to form a group "match-maker" committee for you - interesting to see what they come up with. The computer "equalizer" idea is impressive as well!

Suzanne said...

I wish I could've been there, but enjoyed hearing about it from your perspective. I hope that you and Prev had lots of fun! And way to go on the newspaper... sounds like AIF fellows have been slowly incorporated into the Indian media (Tahmid & Neela, You & Hamsa, and I was recently on a Marathi news program).

Oh the marriage comments! At the ate of 22 I have also missed my chance in rural India. How shall we spinsters pass the long and weary days 'til we die?

:)

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!