Friday, August 31, 2007

My Hat Has Three Corners

While many many songs were sung, mostly by the Russians, there were two songs that became 'our' camp songs over the course of two weeks:

1) Donna Nobis Pachem--sang in a round! Beautiful around the campfire at night, but only for the strong of heart at train stations!

2) My Hat Has 3 Corners (translated into 5 languages) and sang with a harmonica.

English:
My hat it has 3 corners
Three corners has my hat
And has it not 3 corners
Then it is not my hat

German:
Mein hut der hat drei ecken
drei ecken hat mein hut
und hat er nicht drei ecken
so ist es nicht mein hut

Japanese (an unofficial translation):
Watashi no boshi sankado
sankado no boshi watahsi
to moshi sankado janakattara
kore watashi no boshi jyanai

French (copied from M's unique handwriting, sorry for mistakes):
Mon chapeau ila trois coins
trois coin a mon chapeau
et si il n' a pas trois coins
pais il r'est pas mon chapeau

Russian--I have it, but it is in Russian, so can't type it here

Mongolian (yep, I got it translated for you Christian!):
Mini malgai gurvan untsugtei
gurvan untsugt malgaatai bi
kherev ter min gurvan untsugt bish bol
terel lav minii malgai bish ee!

Can anyone add anymore translations??

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good idea, hgere you are 3 hcorners in Spanish:

mi sombrero tiene tres picos,
Tres picos tiene mi sombrero
Si no tuviera tres picos
No seria mi sombrero

Anonymous said...

I learned it from my GreatGrandmother
of German roots before I could
understand English in the late 1950's.
Where did it come from?