Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Slipped Through the Gate


Max, Maxie, Maximillion, Maxi-pad, Maxwell

Thank you for 17 great years!! You were a brother, friend, child and guardian! You protected us from the postman and you comforted us when we were sad. You dragged me out of the house whether it was cold and rainy or sunny and beautiful. You trained with me for my first (and only) marathon. You moved with us cross country twice and lived in at least six houses! You snuck around the house and onto beds or a couch whenever you got the chance. You pranced and danced around the house. You loved your squeaky squirrel like it was your own child. And even when I had been gone for two years you remembered and recognized me the minute I walked in the door. Thank you for your unconditional love and friendship. You are missed!






A note from my dad:

We find ourselves wondering around the house missing Max's energy and remembering all the beautiful quirks of his unique personality. He is missed and was one of a kind. How fun it will always be to remember back on our family dog and the love he showed for each of us and all of us. One of the nicest things he ever did was to leave us a day before we would have had to take him in. Once again, he saw an opportunity and slipped through the gate!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maxie was resilient - he was able to adjust to many changes in his life - houses,people, schedules, etc.

GREAT Memories include:
1.Nudging our hands for more food
2.Pushing his water bowl all over the kitchen floor, if it was empty
3.Watching the door if strangers were in the house - in case they left the door open - then he would take advantage of that & make a run for it.
4.Shaking hands - a trick taught to him by his favorite auntie
5. Going into his kennel after getting treats from Dad
6. Being patient while I dressed him up in costumes for Halloween
7. Dragging himself across the carpet on his front elbows
8. Liking the meat drippings on his dry food
9. Asking to go for a walk in the park by going to his leash & nudging it
10. Our morning ritual - he loved the buttered toast that I dunked in coffee for him in the morning!
11. As for his "graduation," he was, like his Aunt Bobbie said, a real gentlemen!

Matthew R. Loney said...

What a handsome dog!

I lost my Golden Retriever (Arthur) after 14 years, the first Christmas I was in Japan.

He protected me against bears, slept with me in tents, out on the dock, hid under the bed during lightning storms.
There`s definately no suitable sadness for losing an animal brother.

Sincere condolences, Sista and family.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Kirsten for a beautiful tribute to Max. He was one of a kind and will be missed!

Anonymous said...

Oh max - I will miss your sweet wet nose kisses every time I came to visit. You were the best dog I ever knew!

Anonymous said...

Hi again Kirsten
Sorry about your dog.
I feel kind of intrusive (inappropiate?) posting here, but it seems to be the best way to contact you right now.
I just want to thank you again for the information on Oregon. We had a wonderful two weeks camping and hanging out on the beaches. They have wonderful programs for the kids where the rangers (who are there mostly to protect the tidal zone wildlife from people)explain all the life there and how to explore it all with respect and minimal damage. The boys loved it. We visited lighthouses and of course the Tilamook Cheese Factory (only 3 times!). We mostly had sun, but even the rainy days were not bad because it was still warm, unlike rainy days where we come from.
We spent a day at Seaside and Canon Beach, then we moved further south for the rest of the time.
Anyways...thanks again for sharing information. We really appreciate it.
Good luck on your adventures.
Oh ya! The trekking company in Kathmandu is Himilayan Glacier Trekking and you want to talk to Sagar Pandy or Naba Amgai. My husband says just find them when you get there (they are in Thamel) because they are now associated with some australian tourist company so if you try to book online it may be much more expensive than if you just show up and negotiate a price in person. You can mention us if you like...Wes and Marilyn Litke from Canada...and we will email him in advance that you MAY show up. Please do not feel obligated to use him if you find a better deal. We found him to be very easy to deal with (flexible to our needs/wants..we made our own route), very consciencious, with competitive prices.
He also is/was involved with an orphanage where travellers could do some volunteer work...I could look into that if you are interested. Naba was our guide, but I am not sure he is guiding anymore...but he speaks Japanese!
If you want more information (exact location of the office and phone number) please let us know. Our email address is litke@canoemail.com
I hope you keep posting you I can see how things go in Russia and Tibet and Nepal.
It was very nice meeting you on my visit to Japan. Of course I knew that I would like you because my niece gets along with you so well!
TAke care
L's favorite Aunt