Tuesday, December 19, 2006

"So This is Christmas....

....and what have you done? Another year older, and a new one just begun. And so this is Christmas, I hope you have fun. The near and the dear ones, the old and the young. And a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Let's Hope it's a good one, without any fear."

---name that Christmas carol---





Xmas in Japan


The last few weeks have been packed full with Christmas parties of all shapes and sizes. I've eaten everything from cake to jellyfish. I've sung disney songs, traditional Christmas carols and watched almost naked men dance to "Thriller." Presents have been exchanged (and re-exchanged--shhh!!). I've given Christmas quizes at lunch, played reindeer races and dressed Santa in my elementary lesson. It's been a holiday filled month already. And I'm not even home yet. What's waiting for me back in the US...only a few hours and I'll soon find out! I got tagged by Joe, here is a list of my favorite holiday things .

The first Christmas party I attended this year, was by far the strangest! What makes it that much stranger is that it is a town hall event. This is my third year at this party and the shock value has gone down, but it's still pretty crazy to see what the city employees come up with for a little holiday entertainment! I decided to skip the pictures and go straight to video clips.
The Town Hall Xmas Party--Michael Jackson Dance

A few minutes later--Thriller (must be 18+)




My adult English conversation class went to a Chinese restaurant for our bon enkai, end of the year party. After stuffing our faces, we sang karaoke for two hours!





After our last English class for the year, their mom treated us all to Christmas cake to celebrate the holidays! This family lived in the US for several years. So, even though these two kids are in elementary school, their English is really good!




Every class is doing Xmas lessons. This is my special needs class at one of my elementary schools. It's one of my favorite classes! They are great kids and we always have a great time. For xmas we "dressed" Santa, made cards, and read a xmas book.




Every year the international cooking workshop group hosts a Christmas party. We eat temakizushi, make your own sushi, and pizza. Then we play some games, sing some songs, listen to some music, and do a present exchange. This years songs were especially pathetic. All the ALTs got up on stage and sang three horribly out of tune renditions of "Deck the halls," "Frosty the Snowman," and "Rudolph the red-nosed reindeer." And then just cause JP and I are singing in a choir, we had to lead the entire group in "Silent Night" and "White Christmas." That was a sad sight too...both of us are sick and almost have no voices! But the best part of the night, my two favorite girls (the shy looking ones) were there for the third year in a row. Will there be a fourth?

The advanced elective English class at my junior high school made sugar cookies for their end of year Christmas party! Six students came after school the day before and helped make all the dough. Then during class they rolled, cut, baked and decorated about 50 cookies. The only problem was, there were another 300 that needed to be baked. Luckily, I didn't have any other classes in the morning, so I stayed and finished baking them. They all came back at lunch and continued decorating and eating! In all about 20 15 year olds devoured about 300 cookies that day! Some were really small....but they still ate a lot of sugar!! Their parents probably hate me!


After the Beethoven concert, a few of us headed to one of our favorite izikayas, Japanese pub, for some greasy grub. In the door way we found Santa greeting everyone. But the night didn't end there. Then we went to our favorite coffee shop because we heard rumors of an all-you-can-eat cake party. Turns out it was just a big potluck dinner and we only brought drinks. We were already full from the pub food, but we managed to enjoy lots of champagne, Christmas cake and chiropractic adjustments! It was a bit random, but I'll take a chiropractic adjustment wherever I can get one!


Last but not least, Linea's eikaiwa invited to their Christmas potluck dinner for the 3rd year in a row. It is one of the best meals all year. The food is fantastic and they are a funny funny group of ladies (and one man). We sat and ate and drank for over 4 hours. The night didn't end there...actually it never ended, I'm still going strong 24 hours later.

Now it's time to pack up the last few things and get on the night bus to Tokyo. Tomorrow at this time I'll be flying over the Pacific Ocean headed to the Pacific Northwest! I'm looking forward to more Christmas parties with lots of North American treats!

Wherever you are this holiday season, I wish you all a....

VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS &

A HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i was very delighted to watch those videos! keep it up with the vlogging!
-amy