Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Pics from Beethoven's 9th Symphony

It was so much fun, even without a voice! Seriously, it was one of the best experiences I've had in Japan. I can't say I walked away with many new friends, although I already knew a lot of people singing in it. But the process of rehearsing for 5 months, and then being conducted by the most amazing conductor ever was worth every complaint I ever made about adding another thing to my schedule! I wanted to get a picture with him, but he was much too busy for the likes of us. Although we did stop him briefly to thank him. I've seen conductors with energy before, but I've never seen a conductor actually in love with the music, the orchestra and the choir. It really felt like that, like he loved every single one of us. When he looked at us, he looked at each one of us. He didn't criticize, he encouraged and inspired and all with this body language, face and eyes. And He controlled the music, and every single one of us. It's so hard to explain unless you see him for yourself. But even all our friends in the audience said the same thing.

This is JP and I with our rehearsal director. He met with the choir every week for 4 months. He wasn't the most energetic or 'genki' of people, but he sure made us work! And let us know if he wasn't happy with us!


Their were 4 amazing soloists, one was even local! They did an outstanding job and received 4 encores!


The orchestra and choir all together! There were about 80 in the choir and probably another 70 in the orchestra!




We didn't get video, but if you want a recording I can get it for you, thanks to rsz! I'm listening to it now, and we do sound pretty damn good, if I am allowed to say so! Thanks to Linea and Cheeks for the pics!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Dear Sista K,

I enjoyed reading your post about the Daiku in Japan. I am making a film about Beethoven's Ninth Symphony called Following The Ninth(www.followingtheninth.com) and have spent some time in Japan recently filming the wonderful phenomenon of the Ninth there. I have to return next year to follow some of the performers through rehearsals and then a performance in December. Perhaps when I come back you could share some of your observations for the camera?

Best,
kerry candaele
venice, ca