Sunday, December 17, 2006

Beethoven's 9th

The day has finally arrived. Last rehearsals will begin in about an hour. Then there is eating, dressing and waiting backstage for our cue. The orchestra will take stage at 2pm, the choir goes on stage at 2:30. And then we stand there and utter a few incomprehensible words in German for an hour. Hopefully there will be a nice round of applause and then we will collect our belongings, say our 'otsukares' and be on our merry way.

Actually, I'm REALLY looking forward to it. I sung in a choir in college, but this is a big step up from that. We have a professional orchestra and the audience is being totally overcharged to attend (3000Y or $25US)! We have had two rehearsals with the guest conductor from Tokyo....WOW! He's amazing. He has more energy and 'genkiness' than any Japanese person I've met. I'd even rank him higher than my elementary school students. Just watching him conduct the entire orchestra and choir is enough to make me wanna sing. It's truly amazing. I've watched conductors from the audience before, but being able to see his expressions, directions, and the way he communicates with his entire body and face is truly an art. I'm excited to see him perform with an audience!

Unfortunately, I have laryngitis, so even though I know (most of) the words, I'll be doing a lot of lip syncing today!! Too bad, cause I'd just really started to feel good about it and find my voice again after years and years of not singing in a choir. Oh well, hopefully there will be a next time.

Pictures and hopefully some video will be posted soon!

がんばってましょう!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How awesome! I can't wait to see photos. Good luck and have fun singing!

-Jimmy

Linea said...

I've been looking forward to this for a loooong time!

knock'm dead!

Anonymous said...

sorry I couldn't make it - rsz x