Wednesday, July 12, 2006

A New Allergy

I've developed a new allergy in Japan. I've always had hayfever. I've always reacted to mosquito bites. And when I was little I think I reacted to MSG a few times. Anyway, this new allergy is the strangest allergy ever. It started last winter. It always happens at home. It always happens at night. And it always happens after I eat my own cooking. But...it only happens after I eat my own leftovers.

It started with curry. I think I'd had it in my fridge for 2-3 days. And after eating it on the 3rd day I puked in the middle of the night. Next....Bear Creek potato soup. Same deal. I had made a big pot of it in winter. I was eating meal after meal of it and finally my system rejected it. I puked in the middle of the night. It has gone on and on like that ever since. It happens about once a month and has happened probably 5-10 times.

At first I didn't know what it was, but now I think I've narrowed it down. I'm allergic to pre-packaged leftovers. It never happens if I just steam vegetables or make a salad. It only happens if it's something with a spice packet or sauce from a box. It's happened with food from Japan and imported American food. So other than the fact that I'm allergic to leftovers, I'm not sure what it is exactly. But I hate it! I eat a delicious meal of thai curry and then want to puke. And you'd think that now that I know what it is I'd be able to avoid it. But I have this horrible problem...I can't waste food. And now I don't know if it's all in my head or if it's real. But I know that after eating leftover vegetarian green curry on Monday I almost puked and then had to go to bed and felt ill most of the night. It was horrible.

So last night I made some Indonesian white chicken curry (from a spice packet). I had leftovers. I delivered them to Linea. I don't think she's developed the allergy yet.

Cooking for one person is IMPOSSIBLE. I can't do it.

Anyone know what's going on?? Suggestions please!

4 comments:

Linea said...

I'm not complaining...then again, I haven't had the curry yet. I'll let you know how it goes.

Although, I have to say, I was up puking the night before last. The first time in a long time, and it wasn't becuase of alcohol!

I woke up with wicked stomach cramps -very very similar to my gall bladder attacks....I thought it was hunger pains at first because I hadn't eaten much on Monday, but after trying to eat and drink something it was still the same. Puked up lots of bile - like I said, similar to the gall bladder issues.

What the heck's going on??

Sista, maybe we have to start going more organic. I know my body could use a good cleaing out. All the Japanese izakaya food is hard on the system.

Anonymous said...

i wish this problem had developed earlier. i'm the leech that wants the used food.

maybe your fridge isnt at the proper bacteria killing level.

Kirsten said...

Amy...PLEASE, come over and eat with me. I need someone to cook for!

maybe, I'll try turning it colder. Or maybe I'll just freeze everything. Or just start sneaking into local gardens everynight and eating raw veggies.

Linea...should you have that checked out? How do you confirm gall stones? You aren't ALLOWED a gall stone attack in Hokkaido. It's against the trip rules.

I think it might be time for another trip to Thailand...a body cleansing trip!

Linea said...

i shouldn't have to confirm that it's gall stones...i don't have a gall bladder!!!

but I found out the hard way that it's possible for your liver to start producing them once your gall bladder's removed.

by the way, i ate the curry for lunch and dinner...if i'm up in the middle of the night, i'm going to come banging on your door! ;)

OISHII YO!!!