Friday, February 17, 2006

Burnt Out on Brownies

It all started over a week ago. I had some quiet time at home and started baking. I baked vegan chocolate cake for a little dinner party I had, some friends, a nurse at my school and my English conversation students. A few days later I baked brownies for my junior high school, two elementary schools (just for the teachers!), and my favorite bar tenders! The vegan chocolate cake was homemade and turned out really well! I was impressed. The brownies were just from a mix--Ghiradelli of course!!! Just add water, oil and an egg. Throw them in the oven. Add some candy hearts to the top and you have a valentine!

In the effort of internationalization, last night some other JETs and I baked 10 batches of brownies (from scratch) in under 2 1/2 hours. Luckily, I was baking with the best bakers in Toyama! Thanks guys...you rock!! Let's do a recipe exchange. But unfortunately, the baking event lacked organization and planning...for example, there were no eggs. The recipe was a new one to us so we didn't know how to manipulate it. The brownies turned out a bit more like dry chocolate bricks. But scoop up some ice cream, spray a little whip cream on top, sprinkle a handful of sprinkles, add a cherry and you have yourself a brownie sundae!! The Japanese festival goers won't know the difference. But I warn all JETs now ....avoid the brownies!!!

I think I need to take a brownie baking break! I'm burnt out. And we burnt a few last night too...another warning!

Question: How many brownies can you carry on your head??

I can carry 10 batches, approximately 250 brownies!

3 comments:

Chris said...

Another warning: Eat the apple crisp in moderation! (You have no idea how much butter is in there...)

Linea said...

yay for chocolate in any form!!!!

your baking rules Kirsten!!


-dang, it's too bad the Koshi boy is single, he's so cute!

Anonymous said...

Thank you soo much for helping us bake for the JET FEST. Despite it's odd texture, the Japanese people didn't know what to expect, so they were actually the first ones to go.
Anyway, thank you and see you 3/4 for some b-day fun!!