Sunday, December 25, 2005

Christmas Japan Style

December 23rd--The Emperor's Birthday

There have been a multitude of Christmas parties all month! But in the last few days, I've really hit the jackpot! On the 23rd, I was invited to two Christmas dinners back to back. The first party was hosted by two students from my eikaiwa (english conversation class). I thought it was going to be a quiet dinner, but the entire neighborhood showed up! I was feed until it hurt and ate Christmas Cake on top of that! And then it was on to the 2nd dinner. I tutor a 5th grade student in English once a week. Her family invited me over for their Christmas feast. Luckily, it wasn't as big as the first one but I still had to eat my fair share and another piece of Christmas cake on top of that!

Later that night, my friends and I rang in Christmas Eve at a local bar! We drank and ate more Christmas goodies!



December 24th--Christmas Eve


After getting 5 hours of sleep, my neighbors and I piled in the car and headed for the slopes! Last year we started snowboarding in mid-January, but this year the ski hills opened a few weeks ago! There is a plenty of snow and there was lots of powder at the top! It was a beautiful day and we got enough runs in to feel the burn! Bring it on!

After getting cleaned up and braving the snow and ice, Linea & I joined the Colare International Cooking Workshop group at THE Niikawa Christmas Eve Party hosted at the Unazuki Beer Gardens! We had no idea what we had been invited to until we showed up. We were dressed in nice jeans and sweaters, appropriate for a casual night out with friends. But, we hadn't been informed that this was a formal affair! There were people dressed in tuxes!! Oh no! And to top it off, when the key speaker, the YKK President, gave the welcome address, he mentioned that this was an international Christmas party because they had invited a group of foreigners! And being the only 2 blondes in the room, it was hard to hide, especially in our jeans! And to make matters worse, I was even wearing Toyama boots. I thought it was going to be a tatami sit down dinner....but no! I had to wear my Toyama boots with jeans all night!

But the food was good, the beer was great, and the music was spectacular. Linea and I even got to slow dance with some local community business men (after much persuasion)! And we got to meet the YKK President!! YATTA!

The last 15 minutes of the party, the lights were turned down low, the jazz band got back on stage and everyone was handed a song sheet and we all sang White Christmas and Silent Night to end the evening. Normally on Christmas Eve I might go to a candel light service, a similar set-up--the lights turned down low, the organ music, everyone full from a night of eating, dressed in red & green, and the sanctuary lit only by candel light! But we were at a beer garden, and instead of candels we were all waving glow sticks in the air--the neon kind: pink, purple, blue, green and yellow! I got all choked up looking around at the scene I was in. I wasn't sure if I should cry or laugh!

After our formal party, we headed to a local Nyuzen bar owned by this crazy woman with poofy hair who just left to spend 2 months in Mexico just hanging out. Lucky lady!! Anyway, she owns two bars in Nyuzen, and they are both AWESOME! The soccer coach gave Linea and I roses. Now, we are the lucky ladies. And performed a very special dance for us! "All I want for Christmas" by Mariah was on repeat most of the night! We toasted and waved the glow sticks again at midnight! And I think Linea and I were home just before sunrise. A crazy and very special Christmas indeed!!

December 25th--Christmas Day

We were up a few hours later to prepare Christmas brunch with Santa John! We ate, opened presents and talked about past Christmases and how different this year was!

After brunch I headed to Toyama for a movie with my crazy star wars teacher! She was recently diagnosed with cancer again and will be going into the hospital soon. I'm not sure when I will see her again. But I'm glad I got to spend an afternoon with her! She's a riot!

I'm a very lucky girl. I've been fed and entertained for days!! Even though I didn't go home this year, I've had a very Merry Christmas!








2 comments:

Linea said...

I'll take Christmas anyway I can get it!!!

Anonymous said...

We missed you GREATLY, but by your accounts of what looked liked just a fun-filled & food-filled X-mas, I don't believe that you had any moments to miss coming home - it looked like a spectacular holidays! Wish we could have been there too! Love you lots!