Sunday, March 25, 2007

Earthquake Shakes Toyama

A bit of excitement this morning...I was forced out of bed by an earthquake at 9:42 (yep, slept in!). It was the strongest one I've felt. The reports I've seen list the earthquake from 6.7-7.1 in magnitude! Actually, the only other earthquake we've had, I was in bed taking a nap during that one! Seems to be a pattern! This one lasted a good 10-15 seconds I think. It was a bit surprising because Toyama is claimed to be the 'safest' prefecture in Japan. It is protected by the Japanese Alps on one side and the Toyama Bay and Noto Peninsula on the other side. That being said, I think most of the damage was south of here and out on the peninsula because the epicenter was at sea. Just another reminder that earthquakes can happen anywhere at anytime!!

See a Map of the earthquake! And other USGS Details about the earthquake! I'm a nerd...this stuff is so interesting!

Side Note: I've been feeling mini-tremors for a few weeks and have been thinking about an earthquake. I recently added the USGS website to my 'favorites' list because I thought I was feeling little ones all the time. Everytime I checked...nothing! But today, I wasn't making it up!! Everyone felt it!

......and back to the paper. It's just days away from being finished and sent in.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're okay ~ I just heard about it and panicked! Okay, I can sleep now - hope your paper's going well! Love, Sara