Monday, January 12, 2009

Madurai & SEED 9th Annual Day

After my tropical beach vacation in Thailand I flew down to Madurai to visit my host family and attend the 9th annual day for the SEED Center. I've lived in Madurai for a significant amount of time and let me tell you....it's a whole different beast! Even for a 'town' of over a million people, it feels more like a village. Cows, goats, bullocks, and horses roam EVERY street. And everyone knows everyone. It's the kind of town where if you buy blue bangles near the main temple at 11am, by the time you reach home 20-30 minutes away, your family already knows that 1) you bought bangles 2) what color they are 3) where you bought them 4) how much you paid for them and 5) who you were with. One has to be VERY careful as there are NO secrets in Madurai. I loved living there, but am glad to be experiencing a metropolitan Indian city this time around.


A South Indian meal on a banana leaf prepared for me by one of the SEED volunteers mothers.



My host mom trying to negotiate with a cow so she can back her scooter out into traffic.



My host mom cooking deliciousness--a scene I have enjoyed and benefited from for 10 years!



A SEED student, volunteer and good friend of mine! She is currently trying to persuade her parents to postpone her marriage 2 more years so she can get more work experience.



Two more SEED volunteers (and a former student) who are also my role models!



The SEED students playing group 'janken pon' a game the Japanese ALTs taught them during an English camp in 2005.



Welcome to SEED's 9th Annual Day!



The Annual Day event had dancing, singing, and speeches! It was a fun afternoon and evening of community and togetherness for the 3 SEED centers in Madurai.



Some artwork done by the SEED volunteers! They should really market and sell this stuff! It's beautiful!



Some of the SEED students demonstrating some of the their art projects
during the art exhibition!



Happy NEW YEAR to all the SEED Centers!