Friday, October 10, 2008

Budgeting a Night on the Town

(The pasta bar at Aqua at The Park Hotel in Delhi)

During orientation we were wined and dined at some of Delhi’s fanciest restaurants, including a new Japanese restaurant that actually served sushi! Yes, I ate raw fish in India. The food was fabulous, plus there was an open bar and basically we were totally spoiled!

(Team Tamil Nadu)

But as a fellow we are asked to live simply and our stipends encourage a simple yet comfortable lifestyle. We are asked be conscious of our spending and live modestly. Fine! I’m used to living on a budget, I’ve been doing it for a long time. So, I’ve found a local fruit and vegetable stand that is very reasonable, a significant price difference from the fancy air conditioned fruit/vegetable markets. I’ve been cooking in my flat-rice and rasam, oatmeal, tea/coffee, curd and fruit, etc. And I’ve been taking the bus to/from work whenever possible (i.e. when it isn’t pouring). I have not tempted fate with street food yet, but it is something I’d like to incorporate into my life. As a foreigner in India, it is easy to live the high life. To eat at 5 star hotels, shop at American-like supermarkets and hire help to cook and clean. But on our stipends, that lifestyle isn’t possible, especially in a big expensive city like Chennai. Being forced to interact with India on a budget is empowering. It makes me appreciate the splurges even more and makes me realize how unnecessary some of the splurges are—like paying more for food just to shop in an A/C store.

The financial reality of working at NGO in India, is such that even with our “stipends of simplicity”, as fellows we receive more than many of our co-workers earn as salary. Therefore, many of my co-workers are also fellow bus riders and know the system well. However, a few of them seem not to know the system at all and are surprised that I’m getting along so well. On the way back from a field visit one of my co-workers said, “Someday, I’d like to try and take the bus.” And then she texted me to make sure I’d made it home via bus without any problems. Cute! Obviously, not everyone is dependent on the NGO salary. I work with an interesting mix of people from a variety of backgrounds and I’m enjoying all the interactions. Living on a budget allows me the flexibility to mingle at multiple levels and I appreciate that.


(Riding the Bus in Chennai)

Living on a “stipend of simplicity” also encourages innovative planning and finding all the deals in town! So, even fellows can still have a night out, especially when it’s ladies night and drinks are free! Team Chennai enjoyed a few tasty treats at the Taj Hotel this week. Fun times!!

(Team Chennai at the Taj)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you could teach a whole course on "living simply" to all those Americans who imagined life would go on as is forever, but who are now being forced to live on a budget - something many have never done - but with our sinking economy...now a necessary set of skills!